Thursday, July 14, 2011

Melanie Marquez repackages herself as painter

Beauty queen-turned-actress Melanie Marquez is making a splash in the Philippine art world.

Upon returning to the Philippines from Utah, United States where her family has a ranch, Marquez repackaged herself as a painter.

Marquez’s 2 paintings are part of an exhibit dubbed “Art and Beauty,” which is on view at the Ricco Renzo Galleries and Café on Nicanor Garcia Street (formerly Reposo Street), Bel-Air 2 in Makati City.

She is one of the former beauty queens participating in the event.


The works of Nina Ricci Alagao, Lani Lobangco, Maria Isabel Lopez and Vangie Pascual are also on display.

The exhibit, held in cooperation with the National Commission on Culture and Arts and the Character Building Foundation Inc., opened on Wednesday night and will run until July 31.

During the opening night, Marquez said she always wanted to create something different and something that people would talk about.

She said she kept her talent hidden for 25 years and “it is about time” to display it.

“I’d like to give my gratitude to Maria Isabel for pushing me so hard, to express and show the hidden talent that I’ve kept for so long,” she told ABS-CBN News.

Marquez used candle wax to create her masterpieces.

“I used candle, molten rocks… I want to be different if ever I’m going to show something. Sa totoo lang, under stress ako ni Maria Isabel kasi kinukulit niya ako. Nililigawan niya ako to do something kahit isa lang daw… I prayed a lot. What I did is sketch it and make it happen,” she said.

She has also been inspired to compete and display her works in the US. “I want to do something na hindi pa nila nakikita. I want to do it in Utah. Hopefully, kung may competition in New York, then I will be one of the candidates who will compete.”

She is not staying long in the Philippines for she has to go to Malaysia before going back to Utah for “personal businesses that I have to attend to.”

Source: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/07/14/11/melanie-marquez-repackages-self-painter

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More